Sunday, November 25, 2012

turkey time twenty-twelve

Be thankful for what you have;
you'll end up having more.
If you concentrate on what you don't have,
you will never, ever have enough.

The turkey wasn't the only thing stuffed at Thanksgiving this year. My belly was a big competitor! The boys decided to stay put and let me enjoy one more "peace" of pie this holiday. I always really love this time of year when families come together to spend quality time full of food, fun, and fellowship.

We had the privilege this year of spending Thanksgiving day with all of my immediate family and Nate's immediate family and grandma. John & Lora graciously hosted all of us for a spectacular dinner. We had the whole works: 2 turkeys, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, homemade bread, jello, cranberry, corn, butternut squash, and pies galore. Tell me again, why does this holiday only come once a year??

After dinner, we went around the table and shared what we were thankful for. It was so touching and encouraging to hear what everyone had to say. I was last to share my thoughts due to the sequence of seating, and of course pregnancy hormones had kicked in full swing by that point, so the only way I managed to make it through my little speech was with a box of tissues at hand. Anyways, I'm glad the conversation led me to think about just how much I am truly grateful for: God, family, friends, life, hope, health ... the list is endless.

It was so awesome that my parents, brother, and sister were all able to drive the distance to our place this year so that we could spend the holiday together since I obviously wasn't allowed to travel very far away this time.

So Wednesday was when most of my family arrived, Thursday consisted of the big turkey dinner followed by naps and a game night which included friends in the area (we surprisingly all left still being friends even after playing a few rounds of mafia), Friday was a day of rest and recuperation, then most of the day Saturday was spent at the science museum in Des Moines, and late that evening we all went for a very chilly, windy walk on the bridge. Today brought the dreaded yet inevitable departure of the family. They'll be back soon though since the arrival of our rip-roarin', I mean well-behaved, twins will be any day now!


Thanksgiving Day 2012


Dad and Lora figuring it out



carving the turkey



Chet & I pulling up dad's sleeves so he didn't get any turkey juices on them!



even though it was turkey that they ate, Ryan & Amy still managed to "ham" it up at the end of the table



coloring! :)



Gram surrounded by grandkids happily enjoying their ice cream cones



an ice cream cone in hand and a toy train waiting to be played with ... life is good



so true :)
_______________________________________________


science museum pics


Nate & Lara tightly securing their wooden eggs with foam wrapping
for the mighty egg drop test



admiring the "ball wall"



carefully completing his domino chain



and now building a rocket ...
let's just say the "kids" really enjoyed the museum ;)



soon to be 6 of them!



Uncle Eric demonstrating how to hold the green cloth to appear headless on the screen



:)
_______________________________________________________

bridge pics


the "walk" across the bridge was pretty easy-breezy for me - Chet took pity on the pregnant lady and pushed me in a wheelchair since I didn't feel that I should go into labor on a 13-story high bridge 30 minutes away from the hospital



all bundled up!!


Thanks for stopping by - have a great week! :)

2 comments:

  1. Very special days made very special memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome to see all the photos! What an awesome week with both sides of the family together! Love all of the photos - especially seeing how much the "kids" loved the science museum. ;) -- Really strange to see you in a wheelchair... Glad it was just precautionary! Cannot wait for the little boys to arrive. :) Keep relaxing, eating chocolate and getting foot massages!

    ReplyDelete