Thursday, November 29, 2012

nesting

The nesting instinct is the name given to the
distinctive urge to clean, tidy, and organize that occurs during pregnancy.

Yep, I have that.

I feel like I've been in the "nesting" mode since the baby shower ... possibly even before that. However, I'm sure much of my preparations are also due to being jobless and having a new house.

I wanted to be mostly ready for their arrival when I reached 34 weeks gestation. From what I've heard and read, it's common for expectant mothers of twins to land in that category of going into pre-term labor. I didn't want to have this happen to me and not be able to give my newborns undivided attention because I was still worrying about this&that around the house. So I got a jumpstart on things! And fortunately, I've been rather capable and self-sufficient with this pregnancy (until recently) so I didn't see any reason to not use my health and strength for "nesting." Also, both my mom and Lora have been a great help with getting everything ready around here! :)

I say "until recently" because I've finally stopped driving myself around, like to the grocery store and my weekly doctor's appointments. I've decided why take the chance? I don't want to be out and about and alone if something starts happening. Which should be any day now.

How long have I been saying that? Way too long. I started that mindset at 34 weeks for the reasons mentioned above, and now it's a month later and I'm getting very impatient and extremely anxious to meet them! I'm not the only one around here feeling it ... there have been several nights where both Nate & I seem rather "off" in our moods. There was one night recently where I just blurted out, a bit whiney and frustrated, "I wish they were here already." Nate lit up when he looked at me and agreed, "Yeah me too. I think that's why I've been in a bad mood all day... because they're not here yet!!" But not to give the impression that we've been spending our last few days as just the two of us all depressed and upset. Yes, we're anxious to meet them, but we've also been enjoying our time together to its fullest!

We've been really glad for his work schedule now which allows us to spend every evening together. This was not the case for our first 4 years of marriage. Between opposite work schedules and college classes, we'd see each other a little bit throughout the hectic week but mainly just on the weekends. Then even on the weekends, we'd often be busy with traveling or getting together with friends and family. It wasn't until this past June that we finally got to settle into what some would consider to be "a normal lifestyle."

Now we can have mid-week dates, like last night for example. I'm new to groupon-ing, so we tried out our first groupon to see how it all works. Turns out it works well and we really did get $20 off our check! We used it at this neat little restaurant downtown Des Moines in celebration of Nate's birthday. Questionable-looking place = very unique and delicious food. If anyone ever offers you a ham and bacon egg roll, accept it. It will be an amazing life-changing experience through your taste buds.

So It seems I've gotten a little bit off track from the main topic. It's probably because I'm still wired at 11:48 pm like usual and am feeling very chatty! Ahhh pregnancy can be so weird sometimes. Anyways! Back to the main topic because I have more to tell you.

According to the hospital's records, I had reached 38 weeks this past Monday. However, according to my own records, I will be 38 weeks this coming Saturday. The explanation of the 5-day difference is that I messed up the paperwork when I was getting everything switched over from IL to IA. The good thing is that this may work to my advantage! IF I want it to. It's been my doctor's general practice over the years to induce twins at 38 weeks because that is considered to be full-term for twins. Just recently, new guidelines came out stating that an induction is not allowed before 39 weeks unless there are certain complications. This is to reduce the number of unnecessary inductions and to encourage women to allow themselves to go into natural labor. "Twins without complications" is a listed specification that must wait until the 39-week mark. Since I will be 39 weeks this coming Monday, according to the hospital's records, it is my choice to ask to be induced or to schedule a C-section anytime next week. That's if I haven't already gone into spontaneous labor by that point. At my last appointment this past Tuesday, my doctor left me with the words, "keep your fingers crossed," meaning "nothing is happening yet, so let's hope nature takes care of this soon so you won't have to try to decide on what to do." I've been crossing my fingers and toes all week and even stared at the full moon last night for an unprecedented amount of time, but still nothing has happened. Nate came to the conclusion just tonight during supper that they're still in my belly because they're just thoroughly enjoying the food that I eat. This could be ... I have been feeding them many delicious things! I know it's best for the babies that they stay in there as long as possible to continue to develop their lungs, and I'm so thankful that they've been growing so well and have been checking out healthy at every appointment. But seriously, any day now.

We haven't come to a decision about what to do next week. I'm planning on going to yet another appt. next Tues and we will base our decision on what they tell us about how things are or are not progressing at that time.

If they're continuing to grow at the same rate they've been growing, they should measure at about 6 & 1/2 pounds each now. It feels like it too!

So maybe if we all say it together ... "C'mooooon babies!!!!!" :)




getting ready to put in the first load of baby clothes!




never did I enjoy folding clean laundry as much as I did this time



picking out the coordinating newborn outfits for them to wear home from the hospital -
the outfits looked a little big for being newborn, but it seems I'm not growing preemies!



packing the hospital bag



Nate has been doing some "nesting" of his own - practicing up!




we received these jungle-themed wooden block letters as a baby shower gift -
aren't they awesome-looking???



34 weeks ... I guess I shouldn't look so surprised, they've been there for awhile now!



36 weeks - growing and I still have no idea where it's going!



celebrating my 24th birthday at John & Lora's with Lanae, turning 8



my choice from the menu last night:
smoked gouda mac n cheese w/ bacon



my old hubby is now 26! :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Stacy, you do have a way with words and we love reading what you have to write! We're anxious to meet these wee grandsons, too, but thankful you and they are doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We think of you every day! Glad you've stayed well and hope for an uncomplicated delivery! And of course, Can't wait to see Pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't wait!! Aaaand. PLEASE let us know what you need because we love to get what people need and we haven't gotten anything yet! Ahhh! So anxious for you two! Good luck and we'll be waiting by the computer screen... ;) <3

    Kristy and Justin and kids

    ReplyDelete