Wednesday, May 1, 2013

may day

"This is a lovely winter we're having this spring."

I used to give flowers to Mom on May Day ... but not just any ol' flowers. They were handpicked wildflowers that I would carefully arrange in a handcrafted paper vase with a handle, complete with a little "happy may day" note. I would go outside, hang the vase on the front doorknob, ring the doorbell, and run away and hide. Mom would come to the door, see the flowers, and act all surprised as to where this beautiful bouquet came from .. ??? .. (to humor me of course). Then I would nonchalantly walk inside and make small talk like nothing happened.
I was tempted to make the 12 hour trip to TN and surprise her by hanging flowers on her doorknob today. I miss being able to do that. I settled for sending a text that included some very pretty flower emoticons ... I hope it sufficed.

So, instead of frolicking around picking wildflowers on this first day of May that should be bursting with spring, I curled up in a papasan chair with my hot cocoa and stayed inside out of the cold, wind, and gloom. At least we didn't get any snow here. I hear some people did. I guess those kids gave snow cones to their mothers today.

*Amendment* It snowed here the very next day ... May 2nd ... craziness.

But let's talk about yesterday!
Yesterday was a gorgeous day!!! 80* and sunny.

I had promised the boys (& myself) that I would take them to the nearby walking bridge the first nice day this spring. Yesterday was fiiiiiinally that day!

So at 12:45, the boys and I packed up and headed to the bridge. It's about a 15 minute drive - long enough to put them soundly to sleep. I tried to sneak them oh-so-carefully from their carseats into the stroller and keep them sleeping ... but I wasn't successful. Luckily, I sure didn't have anything to worry about though because they happily strolled the whole way to the end of the bridge and back without making a peep! (besides a sneeze or two) Then they slept on the way back home.

It was such an enjoyable outing that I can't wait to take them again! ... that's if the weather finally decides that spring is here to stay.


*here are some pictures from yesterday*


spring has sprung!!



this is what the car ride on the way to the bridge did



this is my unsuccessful attempt at sneaking sleeping babies into a stroller



happy little strollers :)

___________________________________________________________

the bridge walk hasn't been our only outing -
one evening last week, Nate & I strolled around our house doing yard work, relaxing in the hammock, and roasting hot dogs in the fire pit



Nate & Kayman on duty



the sunglasses didn't fit Brayden's head, so his hat served him some shade



peek-a-boo!




chilling :)

__________________________________________________________________


the boys also took us to Ledges State Park recently (just 5 minutes away)


there are a few places in the park where the water crosses over the road - 
as you can see, I had to push them through without getting my shoes wet
easy does it!



fun in the sun!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Stacy. This did bring moisture to my eyes. I had thought of it being May Day early morning, and felt a little sad and lonely realizing there was no one to put a little bouquet packet on my door. Not long later I got your sweet May Day flower text, and yes, dear, it sufficed perfectly! Missing you all very much, and hope to visit those precious boys again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you all are having fun on your outings! Hope we can come see you soon! Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete